CHAPEL OF SAN GIOVANNI BATTISTA
The chapel was commissioned, in 1785 , by the noblewoman of Catanzaro, Cecilia Poerio.
The altar, covered in its lower part with polychrome marble, was restored in 2014.
In the center, in the niche, the papier-mâché statue of San Giovanni Battista , from the Lecce school (1924). The precursor of the Lord is depicted with the typical robe of camel hair and the belt at the hips, symbols of his prophetic mission and his austerity. The lamb evokes the words with which John indicated Christ: "Behold the lamb of God, he who takes away the sin of the world" (Jn 1:29).
On the sides of the altar, two precious 17th century paintings , a gift from Pope Clement VIII (1536-1605) , perhaps part of a triptych. The paintings represent Saints John the Baptist (to the right of the altar) and Giovanni Evangelista (to the left), recently attributed to the school of Annibale Carracci (1560-1609).
Also on the sides of the altar, two niches contain a collection of Neapolitan and Messina silverware (from the 17th to the 19th century) and a reliquary containing some bone fragments of the Patron Saints.
On the left side of the chapel, the eighteenth-century prioral chair of the Archconfraternity of gilded wood, decorated with floral carvings and lion's paws, testifying to the ancient and prestigious political and religious power enjoyed by the Prior and the entire Sodality.
On the right wall the ancient Gonfalone dell'Arciconfraternita is exposed , in crimson velvet of Catanzaro silk (19th century).