Royal Archconfraternity of SS. John the Baptist and Evangelist of the Knights of Malta ad Honorem of Catanzaro
(attached to the Lateran Archbasilica)
CHAPEL OF SANTA LUCIA
It is characterized by a masonry altar enriched by two terracotta vases of southern manufacture of the nineteenth century and by an architectural pediment of fine Baroque workmanship.
In the center is the statue of Saint Lucia , the young Syracusan martyr. He gave his life under the persecution of Diocletian in 304 AD, and his cult spread everywhere already in the fourth century. She is particularly known as a witness to the light of Christ and protector of the eyes and sight.
The chapel was once guarded by the ancient Catanzaro family De Paula, to whom the date 1758 refers and the name Paula carved on the Sacred Stone of the altar. It preserves traces of the ancient barrel burial, visible under the glass plate placed on the floor.
In the vault, decorated in trompe-l'œil, there are passages from the responsory of St. Anthony, to which the altar was evidently previously dedicated.
On the right wall a small painting depicting the Madonna delle Grazie.
On a wooden base, the statue of Saint Therese of the Child Jesus is exhibited . A nun of the Carmelite Convent of Lisieux (France), Saint Therese lived her intense love for Christ in the "little way" of simplicity and abandonment to the will of God He died in 1897, at the age of 24.
On the left wall a print representing the Virgin Mary. Also on the left, a small niche holds a copy of the statue of Our Lady of Montserrat, Patroness of Catalonia, called “l a Monereta ” because of her dark complexion, a gift from the Spanish Aggregation of the Archconfraternity which is based in this church.